The “SUPER CONCRETE SYSTEM” POLISHED CONCRETE FLOOR
NOW AVAILABLE IN NZ
The Super Concrete Floor System is a method for polishing concrete floors created and developed to transform ordinary concrete into a beautiful, glossy, easy-to-clean surface.
It is now available in New Zealand from NSR Stone & Concrete based in Wellington NZ.
The Super Concrete Floor System (or Polished Concrete in USA), is called “the floor system of the future”.
Polished concrete is fast becoming the ultimate no-wax flooring material. Thanks to recent advances in concrete polishing equipment and techniques, contractors are now grinding concrete floor surfaces, whether new or old, to a very high-gloss finish that never needs waxing or coatings that can peel or wear off. A Polished Concrete floor provides an extremely high quality durable finish similar in appearance to natural stones, such as marble or terrazzo, but with a superior hardness and a resistance to traffic wear. Polished Concrete has become very popular in high traffic areas as it provides an easy maintenance surface.
The machinary and the use of Planetary heads and direct drive machinery, creates a very flat and smooth surface. This is ideal for industrial and commercial purposes that gives a beautiful and aesthetically appearance to the surface. The flat surface greatly decreases vibrations that may otherwise appear in forklifts. This reduces the need of maintenance on wearing parts such as tyres and transmissions. The absence of an electrical isolating covering reduces the stress on electronic components caused by ESD disturbances. The benefits in the working environment are even greater for the employees. The problems with heavy staining from tyre-marks on epoxy floors disappear because Super Concrete doesn’t bind rubber marks at all (this is the reason why the floor can be kept clean with a minimum of effort in an ecologic way).
The superior durability and performance of polished concrete has been enjoyed in warehouse and industrial facilities, office facilities, restaurants, manufacturing facilities, automotive shops, garages, showroom floors and residential interiors throughout New Zealand, due to its low cost, high durability, long life, very high abrasion resistant nature and high gloss floor finishing.
Thanks to the Super Concrete Floor System the floor becomes up to 8 times harder and resistant by using "Hardener densifiers”
Briefly, the technique involves:
- Grinding the concrete to expose the aggregates or to the level required.
- Consolidation of concrete with special impregnator. This process causes a chemical change with the result of a greater hardness and denseness of the floor.
- Honing and polishing with diamonds abrasives to produce a high gloss.
During the process of polishing the concrete:
- The floor is being ground flat.
- Concrete dust is being contained by a CFM dust collector into plastic bags, restricting particles from becoming airborne.
- Impurities in the concrete are being removed.
- The floor is becoming denser.
- Lippage, curled joints and uneven slabs (trip hazards) will be resolved.
Each step in the process increases the shine and reflectivity of the surface. As it is a multi-step process, clients who are unsure if they want a fully polished look, or a honed finish with some surface shine, can review the floor at the various diamond grits to determine the level of gloss. They can also determine whether they would like to have an uncoloured or coloured finish to meet their maintenance and aesthetic requirements.
After the process:
- The floor will be flatter than ever before and will be able to breath, allowing water vapour to pass through the slab.
- Polished areas can be put into service immediately after the process is complete.
- The floor will be slip resistant; the COF (Coefficient of friction) will be greatly improved.
- Daylight factor will be increased.
- Ambient light will increase by the reflection percentages.
- Air quality will be improved.
- Maintenance will be dramatically reduced requiring a maximum of one person to perform maintenance on hundreds of square metres per day.
- Hardness of concrete will increase by using an environmentally safe densifier.
- If used in an industrial environment, fork trucks tyres will last longer leaving no tyre marks.
- Smoothness of the floor and joints will allow fork trucks, carts or dollies to travel more efficiently without hazardous spills.
- If certain areas need refurbished or re-polished in the future, then normal operations can continue while refurbishing work is being performed.
- Extremely easy to maintain by having to use minimal amounts of water and an environmentally safe cleaner.
By not covering the concrete with a secondary material, the concrete can perform as a thermal storage medium to release radiant heat when needed during the winter (provided that the concrete is exposed to the sunlight during the day).
“SUPER CONCRETE SYSTEM®”
There is simply no comparison to other floor systems when it comes to the life of a polished concrete floor. Increased strength for old, deteriorating, weak concrete finishes, with more abrasion resistance and an increase in impact resistance. The Super Concrete System process removes the top part of the surface of the old concrete floor (including any patchy, partial, or whole coatings) and hardens the exposed surface beneath.
- Highly resistant to wear.
- Highly resistant to scratches.
- Highly resistant to most chemical.
- Long-term lifetime.
Perfect for truck traffic:
- Elimination of tyre marks from fork trucks, vehicles and industrial type hoppers and parts baskets. In other floor systems, a tyre mark is usually there to stay until the floor is repaired. When a forklift burns out on a coated floor the friction caused between its tyre and the surface leaves a mark.
Decrease in overall fork truck tyre wear and tear (due to the smoothness of the floor and the levelled “curling” joints). In heavy industrial facilities, rough and uneven surfaces cause tyres to wear out rather quickly.
Ecologic, environment friendly:
Polished concrete is a LEEDs friendly product. It utilizes the existing concrete surfaces which eliminates the need for additional coverings and coating materials to be manufactured and purchased. Tile, carpet, and linoleum wind up in landfills when they require replacement. Polished concrete is highly durable and should a re-polish ever become necessary, it is completed on the existing slab at only a fraction of the cost without any significant waste.
- Concrete is a natural product.
- No odour or migration from chemicals.
- No solvent that evaporates into air.
- Clean air: no dust emitted from Super Concrete Floor.
The concrete can “breathe”. This allows water vapour to evaporate through, as there are no coatings that can flake, peel, crack or separate and it does not harbour bacteria, mould or fungi, thanks to its high natural PH.
Decrease in floor maintenance and less drag on cleaning equipment; making brushes, pads and mops last longer. Most floor systems, even ordinary concrete floors require aggressive scrubbing in order to maintain a clean environment and nice appearance. No more stripping and waxing. With a polished concrete floor system there is no need to wax or strip the floor. All of your allocated maintenance labour and material costs for stripping and waxing can now be eliminated and added to your bottom line. This will give low maintenance costs.
Easy to clean. Just sweep and scrub only.
Polished concrete is one of the most economical, cost effective flooring alternatives out there. The reduced costs associated with saved energy, reduced tire wear, maintenance reduction, and especially the long-lasting durability shows that polished concrete is budget sensible, as well as a beautiful flooring system.
Existing Concrete Floors:
- Old coatings must be removed to expose concrete.
- Damages should be repaired.
- Grinding with Metallic Diamond S.
- Staining with BETON STAIN COLOR if you need to colour the cement floor.
- Impregnation with KLINDEX HARDNER.
- Polishing with FK Phenolic Diamond.
New Concrete Floors:
By the addition of coloured aggregates, it is possible to achieve a very elegant appearance in different variations. Also crushed coloured glass can be “seeded” into the top layer of fresh concrete where then the grinding, honing and polishing processes will reveal the glass pieces.
- Select colours and aggregates of concrete.
- Place concrete and let cure for at least one week before any grinding.
- Grinding with Metallic Diamond.
- Staining with BETON STAIN COLOR. (When staining new concrete it must normally be cured for at least two weeks at 20° C. For optimum results, allow concrete to cure for four weeks).
- Impregnation with BETON HARDNER.
- Polishing with FK Phenolic diamonds.
Comparison with WAX and PAINT COATINGS:
Polish or wax coatings are usually used to get a shiny floor, but the higher the shine, the more likely these scuff. That is why they last for a relatively short period of time. Furthermore heavier coats are more vulnerable to scratching and general wear. Therefore such coating must be frequently stripped before application of new coats, only to be prepared again and again. This is valid for paint coatings, based on acrylics, epoxies and urethanes (PU), as these must be frequently repainted due to wear. In high traffic areas this may be every 2-5 years. So even if polish and wax sound cheap, in realty these are very expensive. In the long run there are no more expensive forms of floor coatings than polish and wax.
“SUPER CONCRETE SYSTEM®”